Unconscious Bias refers to a bias that we are unaware of, which happens outside of our control. It is a bias that happens automatically and is triggered by our brain making quick judgements and assessments of people, situations and influenced by our background, cultural environment and personal experiences and preferences.
Unconscious Bias can influence decisions in recruitment, promotion, salary awards and performance management as well as relationships/interactions with colleagues It could be discriminatory when the unconscious bias relates to a protected characteristic and therefore creating significant financial risk to the business.
Whilst most companies recognise the benefits of having diversity within its workforce and the negative impact of discrimination how many really understand how Unconscious Bias is already impacting its day to day decision making and how this could mean they are no longer in full compliance with Legislation or other regulations.
This one-day interactive course is primarily focused on helping delegates understand why Unconscious Bias and Gender Bias are creating risk to their business and secondly give direction in respect of what changes can be made.
What will you learn?
There are many different kinds of bias and we will explore the conscious / unconscious and its effect on business.
Various kinds of bias
- On the organisation
- On functions or teams
- On individuals
- How does this link with discrimination and diversity?
Key people processes impacted
- Staff appraisals
- Work allocation
- Performance management
- Recruitment, promotion and success planning
The decision affected by bias
- How can you be sure bias is not affecting decisions?
- What changes need to be made and who needs to change
- Company values
Legislation and Regulation
- What is applicable
- What are the risks of getting it wrong
- What is it
- Rules and regulations
- Its impact on the business now and in the future
By the end of the session delegates will :
- Have clarity on what is Unconscious and Gender Bias and how they manifest themselves
- Understand options with regard to reducing Bias impacting decision making
- Understood which Legislation or Regulations necessitate compliance, including Gender Pay Reporting
- Been able to identify what has to change and what they need to do personally or in conjunction with others in the business
- Leave the course having started their change implementation plan including the key messages for any necessary business case submission.
- Anyone who is involved in the decision associated with people in the organisation
- HR professionals
- Managers, Supervisors and Team Leads
Please note that payment is due at the time of booking. Invoicing is only possible on immediate payment terms after receipt of a valid purchase order number (if applicable).
Aberdeen & Grampian Chamber of Commerce
The Hub, Exploration Drive
Aberdeen Energy Park
Bridge of Don
- Places available