Running a business isn’t easy. It requires dedication and commitment, but that can lead to sleepless nights, working long hours and skipping meals. And all that can impact your health and wellbeing in the long run.
Nearly 9 out of 10 people rate their health as important to them. Yet, more than a third of business owners said they feel that running a business has, at some point, affected their health. And 19% said their health has deteriorated as a result of starting their business.*
To help readdress your work-life balance, AXA PPP healthcare senior psychologist Dr Mark Winwood has created a checklist:
- Check in on yourself: take time to sense-check how you’re feeling mentally and physically. Stress can build up over time, wearing you down slowly so you don’t initially notice those tell-tale signs.
- Diet and exercise can have an uplifting effect on mood and psychological wellbeing. Be kind to yourself by maintaining a healthy, balanced diet. And why not exercise before the work day starts, take a walk at lunch time or hit the gym at the end of the day.
- Take time out: Working all hours or taking calls at unsociable hours might, ultimately, do you no favours. By having a clear boundary between work and ‘home’ life, you’ll most likely find you have more focus and more energy to tackle your tasks at work.
- Take time off: Don’t work all weekend, every weekend – try booking breaks or holidays in advance so you’re committed to them and have something to look forward to! And plan your workload accordingly leading up to those well-deserved time-outs.
- And sleep… don’t overlook the importance and simple benefit of a good night’s sleep in keeping you refreshed so that you can be at your best – for you and for your business.
Please remember as a Chamber member, you have access to special offers from AXA PPP healthcare. Click here to find out more.
*Online survey of 500 SME business owners, carried out by One Poll on behalf of AXA PPP healthcare, August 2018.
Aberdeen & Grampian Chamber of Commerce is introducing AXA PPP healthcare to provide business healthcare cover. The healthcare insurance plans are underwritten by AXA PPP healthcare. AXA PPP healthcare is authorised by the Prudential Regulations Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulations Authority. Registered in England number 3148119. Registered office: AXA PPP healthcare, 5 Old Broad Street, London. EC2N 1AD