Here are the business stories making the headlines across Scotland and the UK this morning.

Police search at Royal Lodge continues as Andrew released under investigation

Police have released Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office. 

The former prince was photographed returning to Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, after he was seen leaving leaving Aylsham police station. Thames Valley Police said in a statement he had been released under investigation.

Though police have not said, the BBC understands the arrest is in relation to activity during his time as a trade envoy, and follows reporting on documents released by the US justice department in relation to its investigation into Jeffrey Epstein.

Bumper ski season but also avalanches in Scotland's snowy hills

Scotland's mountain snowsports centres say they have been enjoying their best winter in six years.

Glenshee has been open since the end of December and the resort said conditions in the last three weeks had been "fantastic".

Glencoe Mountain said it was proving to be the best season since the Covid pandemic hit in March 2020, while Cairngorm Mountain described it as a "great year" so far.

British Airways owner: Cap Heathrow third runway cost at £30bn

The owner of British Airways has asked the government to cap the cost of a new runway at Heathrow at £30billion, less than two thirds of the estimate for the project.

Luis Gallego, IAG’s chief executive, says a £30billion limit would allow the runway to be built without an increase in the airport’s landing charges, warning that the price rises currently projected — some experts think per-passenger charges could double — would drive away traffic.

Gallego revealed the proposal in an interview with The Business, the weekly business podcast from The Times. “If it goes above £30billion, then we will need some public funding because private money will not do it,” he said. “What we don’t want is to build something that is going to be empty.”

Lobbying firm co-founded by Mandelson on brink of collapse

Global Counsel, the lobbying firm co-founded by Peter Mandelson, has confirmed it is preparing to enter administration on Friday.

Staff have reportedly been told the move became inevitable when leading clients severed their relationships with the company, after details emerged of apparent links with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Lord Mandelson resigned from the board of Global Counsel in 2024, though he remained a shareholder until earlier this month. His co-founder, Benjamin Wegg-Prosser, stepped down as chief executive on 6 February.

More like this…

View all